American Youth Soccer Organization was created in 1964 to introduce American children to the wonderful game of soccer. 50 years later AYSO has grown to over 800 regions and 500,000 players. As a non profit organization we are the worlds biggest soccer club. Great soccer starts here!
To provide world class youth soccer programs that enrich children's lives.
To develop and deliver quality youth soccer programs which promote a fun, family environment based on our Six Philosophies:
- Everyone Plays: Our program goal is for kids to play to play soccer so we mandate that each child play 50% of each game (no child can sit out more than one quarter until every child has sat out at least once) It's no fun to spend the game on the bench.....and that's no way to learn soccer!
- Balanced Teams: Each year we form teams as balanced as possible because it's more fun and a better learning experience when teams of similar ability play. It allows for each player to gain the experience of a wide variety of teammates of different skill levels
- Open Registration: Our program is open to all children who want to register and play soccer. Interest and enthusiasm are the only criteria for playing. There are no elimination try-outs and nobody gets cut.
- Positive Coaching:Encouragement of player effort provides for greater enjoyment for the players and leads to better-skilled and better-motivated players. A coach can be one of the most influential people in a child's life, so AYSO requires they create a positive experience for every boy and girl
- Good Sportsmanship: We strive to create a positive environment based on mutual respect rather than a win-at-all-costs attitude, and our program is designed to instill good sportsmanship in every facet of AYSO.
- Player Development: We believe that all players should be able to develop their soccer skills and knowledge to the best of their abilities, both individually and as members of a team, in order to maximize their enjoyment of the game.
AYSO runs on volunteer power. Nearly 150,000 registered volunteers run the local AYSO programs all over the country. Every coach, referee, Regional Commissioner – the list goes on – is a volunteer. Even the National Board of Directors and National President are AYSO volunteers. If it wasn’t for the thousands of volunteers throughout the U.S. donating their time every season, AYSO wouldn’t be as successful and far-reaching as it is today.